Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thursday ~ School is Out


Summer officially starts June 21st, but for my kids summer starts today. It is time for Thankful Thursday and a huge wish for a great summer. I am thankful for all the blessings that we have. I'm most thankful that my kids survived this past semester in their new high school. They made new friends and found their academic rhythm again.

Join the Blog Parties happening today!
Beneath My Heart - Best DIY Projects

I am so thankful that we live in hill-country in central Texas. We are near big cities yet live by small nostalgic Texas towns. There are rivers and lakes all around. Shopping malls and antique stores are minutes away. Fun is everywhere and good family times are sure to come. It is time for picnics, water parks, summer camps, and hopefully some rest and relaxation!
I work at year-round job but will take some vacation time this summer. Being in our new city is a vacation in itself. I love vintage shops where I can spend hours looking through every shelf and clothing rack. I also love coffee shops that allow me to read uniterruped with the aroma of fresh coffee. That is my idea of a fun summer.
Summer break for my kids means extra expense; fuel, food, and fun. I have to get creative, thrifty, and do a lot of things home made. To have a nice picnic, I can buy a basic basket at a discount store. To make good summer meals, we just need to think healthier and less sodas. Using things from home can help cut costs downs, like carrying an ice cooler with drinks or grabbing a quick sandwich at home before a shopping trip. Having a good summer doesn't have to break the budget.


Crispy goat’s cheese, tomato and basil salad
(Recipe for picture at the upper left corner)
***************************************
Ingredients:
All-purpose flour for dusting
1 cup (110g/3 ¾oz) store-bought bread crumbs
240g (8 ½oz) goat’s cheese, sliced
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
1 cup basil leaves
1 bunch (100g/3 ½oz) rocket (arugula), trimmed
Balsamic dressing:¼ cup (2fl oz) olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon caster sugar
********************
To make the balsamic dressing, place the olive oil, vinegar and sugar in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.Place the flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates. Press the goat’s cheese slices into the flour, dip in the egg and press into the breadcrumbs. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the cheese for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden and crispy. Divide the cheese, tomatoes, basil and rocket between plates and drizzle over the balsamic dressing. Serve on a gorgeous table scape with vintage plates and linens. Add a personal touch with your favorite sandwiches and home made ice tea.

Have Terrific Thursday!
Yoli :)

15 comments:

  1. I am with you sister! I had this same idea on Monday :) but we got out yesterday as well! I am sooo excited! I love having my kids home everyday with NO routine! I am looking forward to the fun things we can do and being thrifty as well!!

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! School is out early there - I think it's the middle of June here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow....I wish I was out all summer! Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful summer with your great children, Yoli! We have one month to go...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is early. I think my cousin in Missouri said her son gets out this week also. I had never heard of that before. Wishing you lots of summer fun!

    Yum, I love goat cheese, thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Already out of school? My daughters last day isn't till June 16th! Have a great summer and thanks for the recipe!

    Thanks for linking up with What are little boys made of?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks as if your summer is off to a wonderful start... enjoy it!
    LOVE the goat cheese recipe...Mmmmm....
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had friend goat cheese!That salad sounds delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've heard the hill country is beautiful. have fun this summer and happy VTT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are enjoying your new location. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I come & live with you? :-) The Hill Country is so wonderful...I love it there. Your aprons, having a cup of coffee and eating the delicious food sounds divine! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe...all things I love.

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have fun this summer! There is so much exploring to do. We did that our first summer here, and have been doing it ever since. There is always so much to see, do and experience.
    Happy Thankful Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a great summer and thanks for linking up @PonyTails&FishScales~Party Time Thursday!

    terelauritsen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your visit -- have a great summer! This food looks wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE summer! In Minnesota we have to enjoy the warm weather while we can!! :)

    ReplyDelete