Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday ~ Meals & Service

Good Sunday Morning! I'm joining in for Spiritual Sunday with Charlotte and Ginger. Thank you ladies for being such wonderful women of wisdom and leadership!!

I had a long work week, with 2 business trips and a long work hours. I'm glad to be back home. Our plans for the day are to attend church service, do some grocery shopping, cook a good hearty dinner, mom will do a bit of housework, kids will finish school homework, and we will relax together.

I am going to keep our Sunday meal plan as simple as possible. I want to be sure that I don't spend the day in the kitchen, but instead spend time with my kids. The main course is going to be brisket from Rudy's Country BBQ Store. I'm not going to try to make the brisket myself, instead I'm going to let the experts do the work.
.
My kids love Red Roasted Potatoes. They are so easy to make. I start with firm petite red potatoes, rinsed and cut in half. I preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a baking sheet I toss the potatoes, add olive oil, sprinkle dried roasted garlic, pepper, rosemary, and sea salt. Put in the oven uncovered and stir once halfway through cooking, until potatoes are golden brown and crisp outside and tender inside. Total cooking time is about 30 minutes. I love the aroma of roasting potatoes and garlic.
.
Keeping it simple again. I'm glad that the kids love salads. One of the favorites is Caesar Salad. I buy the Fresh Express prepackaged salad kits because they are quick and easy to make. It comes with romaine lettuce, garlic cheese croutons, grated Parmesan cheese, & classic Caesar dressing.
My family is richly blessed by God. We are far from being wealthy, especially since I'm a single working mom in a single income household. Buying groceries and going out to restaurants hasn't always been this easy for us. I remember when I was first a single mother, over 15 years ago, it was tough to feed my kids. I hadn't finished college yet, I didn't have a good job, and I was so young and scared. As I look back now, I give thanks to God for the struggle because I value the wisdom now. I give God all praise and glory for sustaining us spiritually and physically.
.
As our national economy slowly makes a turn towards recovery, I pray for those American families in need of jobs, security, food, medical, and shelter. There are millions of hard-working Americans that just don't earn enough to keep up with rising prices. I pray for the young children that they stay healthy and happy.
.
.
Please look around and see the blessings in your life, and see who God puts in your heart. I kindly urge that you find a family, student, friend, church group, or organization who you can help. Feeding America is made up of individuals, local food banks, national offices, as well as corporate and government partners. Working as a cohesive system to truly solve the hunger crisis by securing food, providing funds, standardizing care, advocating, and food distribution. Feeding America is annually providing food to 37 million Americans, including 14 million children.
.
God Bless You!
Yoli :)

5 comments:

  1. What an excellent post. Thank you, dear Sister for reminding us to help others in need. Everyone is struggling on some level, but we need to look deep in heart and realize how blessed we are and ask ourselves what we can do to help someone else. During the Great Depression, that is whatgot America through it... people sharing their resources with their neighbors, and even complete strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi YOli...great post. On one of my blogs I alos posted about kindness and reaching out. And my favorite thing to do...spend time with my kids...hiking, biking, playing chess....and goofing around. Have a great week. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you for your caring, sharing spirit. The pictures of the food makes me hungry and I just got through eating. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for these inspirational words of encouragement. Thank you, too, for the potato recipe. It sounds delicious. I'll have to try it. Have a blessed week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet spirit you have! I am always encouraged by your words. They serve as a great reminder of what our values should be; namely that spending time with our children is a priority and loving others as ourselvesHope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete