Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday - Inspired Change




Change is inspired by hope. We hope for understanding, a better life, or closer relationship with God. We all change in our own way and in our own time. For some people, it takes a major life event to push them to change. Others make a conscious decision every day to progress closer to God. We can find direction through prayer, scriptures, and fellowships.
.
I share with you the 12 Steps used in many recovery programs. I've never had the "addictions" associated with a 12 step program and I don't stand in judgement of them. Yet, I do remind myself that my addictions could very well be worse; impatience, fear, anger, lust, self-righteousness, gossip, apathy, etc. However big or small our sins may be, we all have addictions. Through the power of a loving God there is hope for a changed heart.

12 STEPS
Step 1 - We admitted we were powerless over our addiction - that our lives had become unmanageable
Step 2 - Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity
Step 3 - Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood God
Step 4 - Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves
Step 5 - Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs
Step 6 - Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character
Step 7 - Humbly asked God to remove our shortcomings
Step 8 - Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all
Step 9 - Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others
Step 10 - Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it
Step 11 - Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood God, praying only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out
Step 12 - Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs



Join in at Spiritual Sundays for fellowship and support. Charlotte and Ginger host a weekly gathering and everyone is invited to attend. God Bless You!
.
Yoli :)

7 comments:

  1. I think we can change the word addiction to whatever is taking power of our lives. Perhaps it is worry/anxiety, affliction, or painful memories. I recently encouraged a newly diagnosed cancer patient, who has been sober 14 years. I suggested he take the 12 steps and apply it to his cancer journey. Your words "Change is inspired by hope," is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! I have never had to struggle with addictions but I pray daily that I never do! I pray also for those who do struggle. God Bless You today sister! Hugs from Colorful Colorado Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. these steps sound pretty much like good principles to live by...pretty much like the Bible teaches....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an excellent post! I think that more people than not could use this 12 step program.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these 12 steps will be helpful to everyone. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - good principles. I love your words "change is inspired by hope."

    ReplyDelete