Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Wednesday Gratitude ~ Sewing


Heidi is hosting Wednesday Gratitude at Heart and Home. It is a wonderful way to gather in friendship, support, and a moment of gratitude.
.
My gratitude comes from something so simple yet precious; sewing. Our recent relocation to a new city put so much demands and stress on me as a single mom. My job promotion is demanding, my 2 teen kids are slowly adjusting, and my sewing business has been slow. I have been too exhausted to be creative. Finally this week, my passion for sewing has started to return to normal. I am grateful to God for giving me patience, wisdom, and support the past few weeks. I'm filled with gratitude that I do have the means to be creative, because without that I feel like I'm not growing. Sewing is therapeutic, rewarding, and gives my family a little extra income. For that, I am filled with gratitude.
.
Here is a glimpse into my creative process: First I see a picture, for example these pillows. Most people see pillows, but I see apron design inspirations.
.

.
Next, I gather fabrics from my collection or at the fabric store. I like using a variety of colors and textures. I like the contrast look and feel of fabrics. I use the inspiration picture for my base design.
.
.
Next, I layout different art works and designs. My hope is that each apron have it's own character. Below is a pre-finished design draft.
.
.
It may sound weird, but each apron has a piece of my heart. They are like my kids. God gave me the gift of sewing when I was 14 years old. I honestly feel that it is a gift because of the happiness it brings me. I'm not the best designer or seamstress but I am grateful to God for my sewing passion.
.
God bless you all dear friends! ~ Yoli :)

7 comments:

  1. Good for you!! And you know, your last sentence said it all. It's not about being the best seamstress, but you are doing it because you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yoli!

    Thank-you for sharing what sewing means to you! Your aprons are so colorful and creative! I have been sewing since about the same age as you. It does help you "piece together" life. I always think that if you can follow a pattern then you have better skills in making life work too!

    Thanks for sharing!

    love, kelee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pieces are so full of soul! Just lovely. I'm so glad you are finding your happiness here in Texas!
    xo, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Yoli,
    Your aprons are beautiful, so vibrant and bright. What a wonderful talent to have, and to share with the world. Not everyone can handle a needle and thread, or knows their way around a sewing machine! I taught myself to sew at around 14 too, and have been doing it ever since, but never anything to sell. It's a blessing that your talent brings you joy, and can help you pay the bills, too!
    Thanks so much for joining in the Gratitude party. I hope you'll be back soon.
    XO
    Heidi - Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your aprons and your attitude! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your aprons are beautiful!! I've learned to sew at about age 12 but haven't in a long time. I've thought seriously of making aprons and you've inspired me...thank you!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your aprons. I don't know how you get it all done. Work, kids, blogging and sewing. I know it is a creative outlet for you and you make beautiful things.
    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete