Sunday, February 7, 2010

Spiritual Sunday ~ Super Bowl Dad


Ginger & Charlotte are hosting Spiritual Sunday and I hope you enjoy visiting with good friends, sharing from the heart, and feeling the love of family in Christ.
.
My spiritual joy today comes from the wonderful memories I have watching football with my dad when I was kid. My dad passed away a few years ago. Since he is in heaven now, I'm sure he is cheering for the "Saints".
"Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck." Proverbs 1:8-9 ESV
My dad always seemed bigger than life to me. He had a strong presence, loud voice, firm hand, and tender heart. Like me, he too wasn't a perfect parent but I always knew that my father was there for me no matter what. My youth was disciplined, and for that I am grateful. My father knew how to celebrate life and he lived life on his terms. We grew-up in the Church, never missing a Sunday mass or youth religious class. Sunday afternoons were about coming home, watching football, and enjoying time with family and friends.
.
"Dad, I just want you to know that I'm watching the game again with you this year. I've got pizza, hot-wings, and chips & salsa. I miss you so much now that you're gone. I really know how much you loved me. I would give a million-bucks for just another hug and kiss from you. Take care and save a seat for me at Super Bowl Heaven. I love you Dad."
.
Go Saints!
Yoli :)

11 comments:

  1. Good morning! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.....

    Go Saints!? Oh dear. I'm from Indiana......;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute. My dad and I watched a lot of football, too. Our family went to both college and professional games together, and my brothers played on their high school team. I miss him so much. He was a SUPER DAD! Yes... GO SAINTS! New Orleans has been through so much and this win would bring some joy back to the region.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way your spirituality is about your whole life, Yoli. Thanks for those words about your dad.

    I'm doing a Pause in Lent event if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that just touches my heart this morning. I know your father would be overjoyed to read your heartfelt words to him. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice tribute to your dad. I sure hope the Saints win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you! Isn't it awesome how our loved ones truly do live on with us in our lives? They are a part of who we are. Enjoy your day!
    Wylie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post brought tears to my eyes. I lost my dad when I was 17 he was 42. What wonderful memories you have with your dad, Thank-you for sharing them with us. Thank-you for being a part of Spiritual Sunday.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sis, thanks for sharing. So many memories!!!! We miss you guys so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you're happy with the outcome of the game. Your Dad left wonderful memories for you. You are blessed.
    Have a great week.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful memories. Those who raised us shaped who we become....it sounds like your father left you with so much.

    ReplyDelete