Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Corn and Asparagus Salad

I'm eating healthier, more veggies, less fat.  It feels good to eat right, lose weight, and take care of myself.  There are so many benefits to improving your health.  I found this recipe at Paula Deen and it caught my attention because love asparagus and I have several cans of corn in the pantry.  I would have never thought of combining the two.  I will tweak the recipe because I'm cutting back on sugars and salt.  I will probably add cherry tomatoes because I love their natural sweetness.  Looks simple so I should do well.

Ingredients          

6 ears yellow corn, shucked
2 bunches asparagus, trimmed
1 small red onion, diced small
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
Dressing:
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Fill a large stock pot with water, salt and bring it to a boil. Place shucked corn in boiling water and blanch the corn for 3 minutes until bright yellow. Then toss the corn into an ice bath. In the same water used for blanching the corn, blanch the asparagus for 1 minute and toss into the ice bath. For the corn, once cooled, remove the kernels off the cob with a sharp knife and cut the asparagus into 1-inch angled sections. Place both the corn and then asparagus into a medium size bowl.
In another medium size bowl, mix together sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Drizzle over corn and asparagus. Mix together well and chill or serve at room temperature.

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing!! I would love for you to be a guest poster on my "other" blog called

    http://randomtipsonhealthyeating.com

    with this post if you want. LMK

    Mommie.Again

    ReplyDelete