Wednesday, February 2, 2011

National Wear Red Day - Friday February 4, 2011

,

National Wear Red Day 2011 is Friday February 4th. The day helps kick off "Go Red for Women" month.   In 2004, the American Heart Association created Go Red For Women to educate the public regarding cardiovascular disease in women. Heart disease kills more women each year than breast cancer. Nearly one in every three women will die from cardiovascular disease.  In 2010, the American Heart Association set a strategic goal of reducing death and disability from cardiovascular disease and strokes by 20% while improving the cardiovascular health of all Americans by 20% by the year 2020.  By wearing red on National Wear Red Day you can show solidarity against the loss of so many women’s lives to heart disease. Take it further and speak up to your co-workers, tell them about the signs of heart disease.   source



Know the warning signs of an impending heart attack:
  • Chest discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts for more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back. The discomfort can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness, or pain.
  • Discomfort in other areas of the upper body can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw, or stomach. These are especially important if they occur during activity or exertion. Jaw pain is often ignored as TMJ disease.
  • Shortness of breath will often accompany the chest discomfort, but may precede it.
  • Other symptoms include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea, or light-headedness  


Heart disease is still the No. 1 killer of women, taking the life of 1 in 3 women each year.  This means women just like you - mothers, sisters, friends - are dying at the rate of one per minute because they don't know what you know: heart disease kills.

BLOG HOPS
I felt the message was important enough to post for 3 days. Below are blog hops from Wednesday through Friday.  There are too many of them to post each individual button this week but the links are included below.  I encourage you to visit these wonderful ladies because they are a huge blessing and their blogs are so enjoyable. 

 W e d n e s d a y
 T h u r s d a y
Thirsty Thursday Blog Hop at Obviously MARvelous

Best wishes to Java at Never Growing Old
She is starting a job new adventure and I know she is going to do great. 

Happy Birthday to the Frugal Free Gal.  Best wishes!!!

 F r i d a y

  
Let's show our support for an
upcoming blog hop at Born 2 Impress.



7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information, Yoli. Something we must all be aware of as we go about your days.
    Ann
    @
    The Tattered Tassel

    ReplyDelete
  2. following from Follow Me Wednesday blog hop!
    would love if you followed me back :)
    http://frugalscrappinmammaw.blogspot.com/
    http://myfrugalkitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of women don't realize that heart disease kills more women than Breast & Ovarian cancers combined. Thanks for posting!! I'll be wearing my red tomorrow. And I'm happy to say I'm following you now from the Travelling through thursday blog hop! Cute site!
    michelle
    http://www.heartfeltbalancehandmadelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a new follower I found you over at Thirsty Thursday Blog Hop

    http://thirtyonetrendytotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yoli, I know I have not been over lately. My whole life is playing catch up. I used to think it was a temporary thing, now I know it IS my life. HA!

    This is great post for women to read. Who knew??? I did a post for Nat'l Cancer Day. A lot going on huh?
    Happy days to you,
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funnily enough Hubby and I were talking about this only last night. It is true that most people know about Breast Cancer and few about heart disease. Thank you for this post. I shall check out the other hops too so many thanks for posting about tham. I generally wear red so now at least I feel I wore the most appropriate colour today.
    Hugs from across the pond
    Carol

    ReplyDelete