Thursday, September 16, 2010

September 16 ~ Mexico's Fiesta

This Thankful Thursday I am so thankful for education.
It opens the mind and grows the heart.
.

..
I remember reading about the September 16th celebration when I attended school in the Rio Grande Valley of south Texas. I didn't understand the events too much at the time. I just remember students would dress-up in Mexican attire and we would have parties. As I grew older and wiser, I took a college course that focused a Mexican culture. It is filled with many interesting and inspiring stories of heroes and faith. Mexican Independence Day commemorates the day that Mexico started a war against Spain's control which was under Dictator Porfirio Diaz. A group of wealthy businessmen and Catholic Priest Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla were influential in starting the revolution. Mexico eventually won their freedom from Spanish control, but not with the loss of many lives. To those who were lost, a honoring celebration continues to date. Festivities start from morning to night. Houses and business are decorated. A national holiday gives children a day off from school. Bright colorful banners, balloons, and flags line the streets. Kids wait their turn to hit the pinatas that are filled with candies. Kitchens are busy cooking up traditional foods like meats, grilled corn, rice, beans, soups, salsa, and fresh tortillas. Oh, and the drink; delicious...Margaritas and cool fruit drinks. Also, loud music fills the air with Mariachi music and folkloric dancers. Talk about a fiesta.

The Ultimate Apron Senorita

Love Grilled Corn!

Gorgeous and colorful table settings!

My Heritage ~ My Inspiration ~ My Aprons

.
.Thursday Blog Fiestas
http://tammystwocents-tammy.blogspot.com/
http://traci66.blogspot.com/
Blog Hop Thursday at bassigiraffe's thoughts



3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post Yoli. I love all this history. I went to school in Harlingen, Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the vibrance of the pictures you post!


    Cute blog.
    Following, follow back?

    www.thecollegeboundfashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures. I love Mexico. I've been there many times. Thanks for the history and beautiful pictures.

    http://manicmondays123.blogspot.com/2010/09/what-day.html

    ReplyDelete