Friday, March 4, 2011

Saturday - Onion Rings


I'm in the mood for onion rings.  There is a restaurant near my hometown in south Texas (Blackbeards at South Padre Island, Tx) that serves the best onion rings.  I sure do miss them.  It's too far to drive 4 hours for their onion rings, so I'm on a quest to find a restaurant  in central Texas where I live.  The closest to taste that I have found is at the Grist Mill in Gruene, Tx.  The difference between the two recipes is the cut of the onion.  I prefer thinly sliced onions, not big chunks.  There are so many types of dips that work great.  And of course onion rings go great with an ice cold margarita.  I can always look for an onion festival too.  Hope you have a great weekend!


Onion Scoops ~ Recipe


Ingredients:  2 large onions, sliced in scoop sizes for easy dipping.  *   1 cup buttermilk   *  2 cups all-purpose flour  *   1 Tbsp salt   *   2 tsp paprika   *   1/4 tsp cayenne pepper   *   Vegetable oil for frying


Directions:  Separate onions into scoop strips. Mix with buttermilk in a large bowl. Cover with plastic and refrigerate 1 hour. Can be prepared 1 day ahead if kept refrigerated. Stir flour, salt, paprika and cayenne in another large bowl. Drain onions and discard buttermilk. Add onions to flour mixture and toss to coat. Pour oil into a heavy saucepan to a depth of 3 inches. Heat oil to 350 degrees F. Working in small batches, shake excess flour off of onions and cook in hot oil until golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes per batch. Using slotted spoon, transfer onions to paper towels to drain. Transfer onions to platter. Season with additional salt to taste and serve immediately.  Dip the crispy onion scoops into a bowl of spicy salsa or guacamole dip.

Saturday Blog Hops


 

2 comments:

  1. Onion rings are delicious, I will however try this scoop version.

    Have a happy and blessed weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love onion rings. I had 4 the other day. The WinCo grocery store deli had some and so I bought 4. I ate them on the way home, tee hee. I like to make my own and now I'm tempted to do so. I use that same recipe, thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete