Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sweet Onions



My kids have a huge passion for onions! They absolutely love grilled onions and onion rings. Every year we have a huge onion festival in my hometown of Weslaco, TX http://www.weslaco.com/OnionFest. My sister and I setup a booth for our JOY Marie's Boutique http://joymaries.com/ and the kids got to run around to all the food booths.

Onion Scoops ~ Recipe
Ingredients:
2 large onions, sliced in scoop sizes for easy dipping.
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
Directions:
Separate onions into scoop strips. Mix with buttermilk in a large bowl. Cover with plastic and refrigerate 1 hour. Can be prepared 1 day ahead if kept refrigerated. Stir flour, salt, paprika and cayenne in another large bowl. Drain onions and discard buttermilk. Add onions to flour mixture and toss to coat. Pour oil into a heavy saucepan to a depth of 3 inches. Heat oil to 350 degrees F. Working in small batches, shake excess flour off of onions and cook in hot oil until golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes per batch. Using slotted spoon, transfer onions to paper towels to drain. Transfer onions to platter. Season with additional salt to taste and serve immediately.
Secret Southern Touch:
Dip the crispy onion scoops into a bowl of spicy salsa or guacamole dip.

4 comments:

  1. Those onion scoops sound wonderful! I love onions too!
    Have a wonderful evening Yoli!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love onions too!!! This looks wonderful to eat. :)

    Also you have some stunning aprons in your shop! They are unique and stylized. I have not seen the likes of them before. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious, I will definitely try it.I stumbled upon your blog and now I don’t want to leave. You have a lovely blog and a new follower….me.

    Love & Hugs
    Duchess xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding blog(loved it!) This recipe sounds so good,Got to try it.Thank you so much for dropping by.Lord bless you and your wonderful family.
    hugs ginger

    ReplyDelete