Ingredients: watermelon slices, crumbled goat cheese, torn fresh basil leaves, drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar, sprinkle of salt, light sprinkle of cayenne pepper (source)
- The first recorded watermelon harvest occurred nearly 5,000 years ago in Egypt
- Watermelon is 92% water.
- Watermelon's official name is Citrullus Lanatus of the botanical family Curcurbitaceae. It is cousins to cucumbers,pumpkins and squash.
- By weight, watermelon is the most-consumed melon in the U.S., followed by cantaloupe and honeydew
- Early explorers used watermelons as canteens
- The first cookbook published in the U.S. in 1776 contained a recipe for watermelon rind pickles
- In 1990, Bill Carson of Arrington, TN grew the largest watermelon at 262 pounds that is still on the record books.